Did you know that Americans take 4,774 steps, on average, every day? All that walking means that your feet will eventually develop rough spots if you don’t pay attention to them! There’s also the fact that uncomfortable shoes and standing for prolonged periods worsen rough skin on the feet.
How can I make my feet softer overnight? You can apply petroleum jelly and exfoliate your feet. You will find that these are also easy to do and easy on the pocket.
A Must-Read: Toenail Clippers for Arthritic Hands
Read on and find out more details about these steps. We will also know why these steps work to make softer feet.
Slather On Petroleum Jelly
Dry and cracked heels, rough and thick skin, and dark skin are feet-related issues that petroleum jelly can resolve. Petroleum jelly doesn’t act as a moisturizer since it cannot penetrate the skin in the same way as moisturizers. Instead, it acts like a natural exfoliating substance that removes excess dead skin cells and dirt.
This method is easy-peasy, too.
- Before going to bed, be sure to wash your feet thoroughly. You may use a pumice stone to remove the rough and thick skin on your heels and soles. You don’t have to scrub too much or too long since you just want clean feet.
- Pat dry your feet with a clean cloth or towel. Be sure to get between your toes to prevent fungal growth.
- Apply an ample amount of petroleum jelly on your feet. You should apply a thicker layer on your feet’s rough spots, such as the heels and soles. You can make smooth massaging motions, so your feet become relaxed, too.
- Wear socks before going to bed, so your sheets remain clean.
In the morning, you can use either a foot file or a pumice stone to slough off the dead skin. You will have an easier time at it because the petroleum jelly has softened your skin.
Exfoliate With A Foot Scrub
If you have time in the morning, you can exfoliate your feet after applying petroleum jelly overnight. You can also perform a foot scrub before going to sleep and then apply petroleum jelly. In the morning, you can wash off the petroleum jelly and voila! You have softer feet overnight.
You can use either a homemade foot scrub or a store-bought one depending on your preference. All of the ingredients for making a homemade foot scrub are already in your kitchen.
- ½ cup brown sugar
- Spoonful of honey
- ½ cup of olive oil
- Juice of a whole lemon
In a bowl, mix all ingredients until these form a paste.
- Soak your feet in warm water for 15 minutes.
- Massage a generous amount of the scrub on your wet feet for five minutes on each foot.
- Be sure to massage the areas with rougher and thicker skin, such as the balls, heels, and soles.
- Leave the scrub on for 3 minutes.
- Rinse with warm water.
- Massage moisturizer on your feet.
You may also use a homemade foot soak instead of warm water. Mix 3 tablespoons of baking soda with 4 liters of warm water, and use it for soaking your feet.
Getting softer feet overnight is so fast and easy! You don’t have to visit a nail spa and pay wads of money for it, too. You just have to be patient about pampering yourself.